Firewall switching OFF

Farleyjim 08:56 15 Jan 2006

On a couple of occasions during the last week when turning on my computer(Pentium 4 XPHome SP2)I have received a warning to say that my firewall is switched off and I may be at risk. When invited to fix the problem by clicking on the balloon, Windows tells me that it cannot enable the firewall. Turning the computer off and then back on seems to cure the problem. I have at no time needless to say turned the firewall off myself. Any ideas? I am completely up to date with antivirus protection.

rawprawn 09:22 15 Jan 2006

click here see if this helps

Farleyjim 10:29 15 Jan 2006

Thanks rawprawn but I didn't see anything in there which refers to my specific problem.

EARLR 11:05 15 Jan 2006

after loading MS anti spy ware.
Got rid of anti spy ware , no more problems.
Good luck

spuds 11:55 15 Jan 2006

Have you checked out your computer for bugs etc?

Farleyjim 16:34 15 Jan 2006

Norton antivirus does a scan every Friday and it told me that there was nothing amiss this week. When windows tells me that my firewall is switched off, the most obvious thing to do ,in my opinion, is to check through network connections. Trouble is, when this has happened(twice), each time my Control panel does not respond, so I cannot check it.

jimv7 16:50 15 Jan 2006

I would be tempted to uninstall norton and download and install, update the free avg from click here , in the past avg has found virus's that norton has not.

Lettervanman 17:00 15 Jan 2006

I am very surprised that this was causing the problem,it is working fine on my box!
Anyone else got problems with it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?