firewall security - NetBIOS & Plug and Play

millsie 11:50 06 Aug 2006

I have recently set up a wireless network at home and after getting some great advice on this forum its all running fine (fingers crossed)

I think I was advised (by ade.h who was very helpful in solving my problems) to allow NetBIOS and universal plug and play and now if i run a security check Macafee firewall reports "possible" problems because these are allowed. I dont understand what NetBIOS or universal plug and play are, so dont know if allowing them is a security risk that I need worry about or if there is anything else I should be doing.
Thanks to anyone who can help

ade.h 16:04 06 Aug 2006

If you are talking about the Windows services, then there is nothing risky about having these particular services enabled.

millsie 20:39 06 Aug 2006

Thanks ade.h - how would I know if they are windows services?

ade.h 21:03 06 Aug 2006

Run the Services console (services.msc) and you'll see all of them. Windows' own services have descriptions - there will be some others from certain programs.

But rest assured that the two services that you describe are Windows components (notwithstanding the possibility that malware can spoof them). UPnP is optional in many systems, but NetBIOS is essential in any network.

millsie 22:08 06 Aug 2006

ade. - thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone