Firewall for NTL

underworldmagic 19:34 24 Apr 2004

hello,

i am currently using Zone Alarm which came with the NTL broadband setup CD but it is not that effective. i believe that windows XP professional has a built in firewall, but i dont know how to enable it.

i know that i am supposes to go to Network Connectons and then right click on the providers icon (NTL) then click the box saying "protect my computer and network by preventing or limiting access to this computer from the internet"

there is no NTL icon in the network places, all i have is 1394 connection and local area connection intel pro/1000

i am using the intel pro/1000 ethernet connection to my modem and using xp professional.

any help will be very much appreciated. i am gettin my homepage changed into bogus sites and toolbars added to my browser on a daily basis now.

thank you

Diodorus Siculus 19:39 24 Apr 2004

Sounds more like spyware problems that ZA deficiencies: click here
Spybot-S&D click here
Lavasoft click here
CWS

These should sort things out.

Charence 19:41 24 Apr 2004

Try right click on Local Area Network and go to Properties. Click on the Advanced tab and check the firewall option.

Charence

Rayuk 19:45 24 Apr 2004

The XP firewall isnt as good as Zone Alarm as it only gives protection from incoming traffic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?