Firewall not starting automatically on bootup.

Meshuga 19:33 27 Feb 2006

I use Preventon firewall and for ages it has always started on bootup. Since installing Defender Beta2 it will no longer do so. I have to click on it in the programs list to open it. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it. It shows as installed in the control panel Add&remove and in the start-programs list. I can find no reference to it in start-run-msconfig-startup. I do have a firewall in my router but the two have run happily together and I understand that you can have more than one firewall but only one AV prog. What can I do to get it to open on bootup please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:39 27 Feb 2006

Not two software fires walls

1 hardware in router 1 software on PC ok

Have a lokk in defender -tools -software explorer

Meshuga 19:53 27 Feb 2006

Hi Fruit Bat, Have looked in Defender- Software Explorer and it says alongside Preventon " Autostart No" How can I change that to Yes please.

ade.h 20:18 27 Feb 2006

As a temporary workaround, copy it to the Startup folder. It will start later than normal, but at least it will get going without your intervention.

Meshuga 20:20 27 Feb 2006

Thanks ade.h, How do I do that please?

ade.h 20:23 27 Feb 2006

Just drag it over to the Startup folder. In the All Progs list.

Meshuga 20:27 27 Feb 2006

It is already there ade.h but it does not start unless clicked.

ade.h 20:29 27 Feb 2006

Run msconfig, look in Startup, and see what's there. Might just need a tick in a box.

Meshuga 20:36 27 Feb 2006

I had mentioned in my opening post that I had checked that but have just checked again and Preventon is not mentioned at all.

ade.h 20:42 27 Feb 2006

Copying a prgram's start menu entry to the Startup folder *should* put that entry in the corresponding tab of msconfig. If it hasn't done so, then there is definitely something not right!

I can't make any other suggestions; the Startup folder method has never failed me yet. I keep a few progs in there.

Meshuga 20:55 27 Feb 2006

Thanks anyway ade.h

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone