Firewall Needed?

robbiepaul79 13:05 16 Feb 2007

Hi All

I used to use norton then i swtiched to ZoneAlarm Free.

Im really just wondering if these are needed for the home user as i already have a firewall on my router, just wanted to get afew ideas from the people here for another bunch of views on the subject,

Are these just a system/network clog you dont really need or is the threat really that big to Mr Joe Blogg.

Im thinking of doing some spring cleaning you see to try clear out some computer clutter i dont need or maybe improve on stuff i have but thats another topic.

anskyber 13:24 16 Feb 2007

I think so yes. Have a read of this. click here

RobCharles1981 13:29 16 Feb 2007

Another good Free Firewall instead of Zone Alarm is Comodo Firewall: click here

For "Sping Cleaning"

Ccleaner - click here

Regscrubxp - click here

And Also Defrag your Hard Drive as well

Any More help you need just ask us!

Thanks
Rob

robbiepaul79 13:30 16 Feb 2007

Very nice read, i have to say it is something ive always thought ive needed yet ive heard conflicting stories on Zonealarm.

I will have to start looking for something else to try out prehaps.

Ive always just found them complicated i should really stop running around with elves and dorfs and have a proper look into them one day

robbiepaul79 13:34 16 Feb 2007

Cheers Rob i spotted CCleaner and going to give it a shot also going to try afew things from the latest disc. Ashampoo for one also Ad-Aware.

I dunno really my system runs fine but every now and then i get the urge to clean it up....bit like the house i suppose u need a good clean out now and then :)

anskyber 13:37 16 Feb 2007

I use Diskeeper 2007 for my defrag and it just works away in the background un noticed. try thr free version 7 which requires manual intervention but you will get the idea. click here

RobCharles1981 13:41 16 Feb 2007

Can you tell us what Antivirus and Spyware Tools you have at the moment???

Aargh 13:44 16 Feb 2007

Yes you need a firewall/AV of some sort.

Your router 'firewall' is passive and will not alert you to any active threat either from malicious code contained in email etc, or from direct attack by hackers etc

Without, you will not know you've got a problem until your system goes sick.

birdface 14:25 16 Feb 2007

Kerio Firewall would be my choice,I have tried the rest and find that Kerio is the easiest to use,Just dot the simple method when downloading and it does all the work for you,No pop-ups all the time asking you to accept or deny programs,You get the full version for a month and if you dont want to pay for it,It reverts back to the free version,

robbiepaul79 17:43 16 Feb 2007

Rob_25_Wales
Ive just been using AVG and the Microsoft (yes it runs when ever it wants and takes over ur system) Defender.

Buteman
Is the free version any good ? As im rather poor (not working at the moment)

birdface 17:55 16 Feb 2007

Yes ,I have the free version,And have found no problems with it,i am in the same position as yourself.Money is a bit tight.I also run AVG Anti-Virus, Avg Anti-Spyware, I have A Squared as a Spyware standby,Also not to forget, SpywareBlaster.All Free,I find A Square is a lot better than Ad-Aware,Ad-Aware a bit past its sell by date,Or not as good as some of the others.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017