Firewall on home network

Roadgiant 20:31 18 Feb 2003

I have just succesfully installed a network card in my old PC for my son and managed to configure both his and my new PC on a network via a crossover cable.
Everything is working fine, but what I would like to know is how to configure the security of a Firewall (Zonealarm on both PCs)for use.
At the moment having just installed the network I am turning of the firewall on both PC's(so that both computers can comunicate) to allow him to access the net through a modem on my PC.
Do I need a firewall on both or will one on mine be enough as the connection is on my PC and if so how do I allow his PC to bypass the firewall and gain access to mine.
Hope what I have written makes sense, any help or advice would be appreciated.

hamelin 21:19 18 Feb 2003

Hi

Open Zone Alarm Controle Centre (right-click on task bar icon, Select) click "Firewall" then select "Zones" tab.

From here you are on your own... use the add button to configure your network computers.

spaciousmonti 22:09 18 Feb 2003

the answer to your problem is simple, you only need the firewall on the pc with the internet connection. Your firwall will come up with two networks if you have broadband or just the one with dial up. your pc connected to the net needs to have DNS enabled if it is dial up. Your other pc needs to have a static ip address i.e 192.168.0.1 and this needs to be entered in zonealarm as a trusted connection. then both pc will be able to connect. Dont forget to have internet sharing enabled on the connection with the net, not the connection to the other pc. If you need anymore help email and I'll see what I can do.

steve

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?