Firewall being unset

m800afc 16:42 29 Mar 2007

Every time I switch on my laptop I get a message saying Windows firewall is off. I then turn it on. Next time I switch on my laptop I get the same message saying Windows firewall is off. How can I get the On setting to "Stick"?

anskyber 16:49 29 Mar 2007

Do you have a security suite like Norton or Mcafee? If so the firewall in that program will turn the Windows one off so there are not two firewalls running.

m800afc 16:54 29 Mar 2007

I am using AVG for antivirus. I do not use a security suite like Norton or Mcafee. My OS is XP Pro. As far as I am aware the Windows firewall is the only one on my computer. I do a use wireless router, could this have any effect?

Diversion 17:08 29 Mar 2007

click here Go down to the free firewall section and download a firewall, I used Zone Alarm for quite a few years without any problems.

m800afc 00:24 14 Apr 2007

I am still having problems with Windoows Firewall switching off. I do not want to download another firewall at the moment. Any ideas as to how I can make the settings "stick"?

Migwell 00:36 14 Apr 2007

Give up on Windows fire wall it is next to useless. It might stop incoming attacks, but it will not stop anything out going I am told. You can read all about the short comings of Windows fire wall on this forum if you use the search forum section. Diversion has pointed you in the right direction to Zone Alarm. However I use Comodor and there are a fair number of other good free ones on the net.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone