OrgAbuseName: NOC Abuse Department
OrgAbusePhone: +1-703-637-6336
OrgAbuseEmail: [email protected]

OrgTechHandle: NOC1938-ARIN
OrgTechName: Network Operations Center
OrgTechPhone: +1-703-286-2487
OrgTechEmail: [email protected]

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2007-01-19 19:10
# Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

if i goto the abuse part they want my email if i give it im worried about spam
any one have any ideas who they are ive had a look on there web site should i be worried

VoG II 20:30 20 Jan 2007

Just turn off the alerts. Your firewall is doing its job.

surfmonkey #:@}© 20:32 20 Jan 2007

ok i was just a bit worried it always seems to be the same company
thanks

audeal 23:44 20 Jan 2007

If your allerts are turned on then you can get dozens of allerts. As VOG says, just turn of the allerts. The firewall is still blocking everything thats thrown at you but you will not get the allerts.

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:16 21 Jan 2007

You will NOT get hacked on a home computer. Hackers are not interested in the utter drivel that is on mine and everyone else's

Firewalls are useful in stopping Trojans dialling out but to be honest, IF someone wanted to put a dialler on a computer, it would not be rocket science. If you are on BB there is no chance of anything dialling out. There are at least 5 programmes that can by-pass firewalls, 'TooLeaky' having the Gibsonmeisters' grudgingly awarded seal of entry. The Cult of the Dead Cows' Back Orifice, cheekily named after Microsoft's' Back Office, could easily be put on a target computer, if one was really trying and the firewall would still be asleep dreaming of bits and bytes.

However, like my computer, most home computers contain utter drivel which is important to the owner but naff all use to the great unwashed. Bank and credit card details can be culled much easier than rooting through turgid files on a home computer. The bank details culled form a computer (if it were possible) are of no use and would only amount to the same as are printed on a cheque or debit card. Hacking is NOT about breaking into home computers, it is about getting onto networks using passwords.

The 'alerts/attacks' are merely computers on the net asking your computer if it is still connected; these queries are called 'handshakes'. When you are connected to the net you could be going through many servers and routers. This occurs in a millisecond, so you do not notice. All these routers and servers need to know that your computer is receiving, so that they can send images and Web Pages to your IP, which is in effect, your mailbox or receiving station. When on the Net you can pass through more than 20 servers and routers and they could all be handshaking your computer at short intervals. You will notice many of the 'alerts' come from Telecoms, which should come as no surprise as they own most of the routers etc. It is also interesting and miraculous that the 'alerts' disappear when you pay for the *ahem* Pro-Version of a firewall (see Zonealarm;-) ). Generally your IP address changes every time that you log on so even if someone knew your IP address it would be different at next login.

If you were being hacked, I can assure you that you would not get an alert. Any home user that thinks they have important stuff on their computers has a grossly inflated opinion of themselves.

Turn off all the alert buttons/warnings on your firewall safe in the knowledge that you will not be hacked.

If it is any consolation, I have not used any firewall on both my computers for over 4 years and I am on BB. If you want to use a firewall use one that works silently in the background such as Sygate, kerio unless you are networked onto a huge network, in which case you should be using a hardware firewall and your IT department will be looking after it; there is no point in paying for a firewall. Most infections that I see are caused by people agreeing to run a programme (Spysheriff etc.) and no firewall will stop that.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017