Firewall & Antispyware for Windows ME

SallyC 14:06 19 Dec 2010

I have just downloaded Clamwin antivirus software on a Compaq Presario notebook with windows ME O/S installed. Can anyone please suggest firewall & antispyware software that would be suitable for this O/S as Comodo (the firewall installed on our other laptops) does not give ME as an option. Would also be grateful if anyone could tell me where I can find the ME equivalent to XPs Security Centre - can't find it anywhere
Many thanks

Terry Brown 14:23 19 Dec 2010

This may the type of software you require.
click here
Terry

SallyC 15:04 19 Dec 2010

Thanks Terry - I tried to download ZoneAlarm but it came up with an error message -
Could not load the DLL library C\Windows\Temp\12190145714\CertCheck.dll. A device attached to the system is not functioning. Any ideas? I did try the others but the links were either obsolete or had upgraded to newer windows O/S.

SallyC 15:13 19 Dec 2010

Sorry I24 - I don't know what 'non resident right' means, could you explain? Should I be using something different? I usually use AVG free but can't find a link to a previous version to 2011 which doesn't seem very popular!

SallyC 16:17 19 Dec 2010

Many thanks I24 for the information & links - have now successfully installed Avast! and Kerio - now just need a spyware program now - I tried to install super antispyware v4.24 - FAQ said it was compatible but it isn't as it came up with an error message of needing a newer windows o/s. Any suggestions gratefully received!

Terry Brown 07:35 20 Dec 2010

For spyware, this program is tried and tested click here
also Adaware, you may need to load an older version to be compatible with ME click here

Terry

SallyC 13:02 20 Dec 2010

Thanks everyone - slow process but successfully loaded Avast!, Kerio firewall and an old version of Spybot. Now I just need the software discs from the seller and I can try to load Windows 2000 instead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?