FIREWALL ADVICE PLEASE.

MeandHer 11:32 13 Apr 2007

At the moment I am running the free McAfee firewall on AOL BROADBAND.
The new windows xp service pack 2 desktop i am getting has its own firewall.
Which do i run?
Or can any one tell me a good FREE FIREWALL to install on new desktop.
As i understand only one firewall can run?
Many Thanks.
P.S. Thanks for help on anti virus/spyware.

provider 2 11:43 13 Apr 2007

I think the best advice is to run only one firewall. In your case it would be better to have only the McAfee running for it stops outbound as well as incoming nasties.
It also gives you access to McAfee`s HackerWatch.Org so you can use the maps to trace back to where the hacking attempt originated, if you are interested in such things.

SB23 11:51 13 Apr 2007

I switch between two, Zonealarm and Comodo. When I feel like a change I swap, lol.

ZA from click here

Comodo from click here

Although I will say that I'm using the older version of ZA as the newer version was causing me a few problems. You just need the basic firewall protection.

Give them a try, both are free and easy to use, and as you said, one at a time, see which you prefer.

Steve

johndrew 11:53 13 Apr 2007

I use Kerio Personal click here The full version runs for a month and then reverts to the free version. You will get the odd nag screen thereafter but for what you lose when it reverts it is worthwhile in my opinion.

Wak 19:12 13 Apr 2007

You can get the last FREE version of Sygate Personal Firewall from click here.
Used it for years with no problems, Great program.

dms05 11:04 14 Apr 2007

As everyone says don't rely on just the XP firewall - whilst it's better than nothing you can get much better protection at no cost. I've used all the one's mentioned above and they all work well. I finally settled on Comodo simply because I preferred it's interface. Comodo also offer a free antivirus package that integrates well with their firewall.

tenplus1 14:42 14 Apr 2007

I use Sygate Personal Firewall as it is very easy to use, low on resources, Free and works well with my whole network...

Get it here: click here

squillary 17:50 16 Apr 2007

click here and look at the tests for Leak testing and Kill testing.

Zonealarm (Free) is as poor as the Windows Firewall for leak testing. Don't touch. Comodo and Kerio are better but not by much. Kerio is also no good under kill testing.

Jetico survives both tests, but I don't realy know a lot about it. click here Freeware. v2 is in active develoment now.

riiverstock 13:49 17 Apr 2007

McAfee is a good firewall and will protect your machine better if you do file sharing.
This is because XP only concentrates on the material coming into your computer.

Make sure the XP firewall is off if McAfee F/W is on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?