Firewall

Green Eyes 18:43 31 Dec 2006

I have a question about firewalls for my home PC which I use for personal banking amongst other things.

The question is - can I rely on the Windows XP firewall or should I install another? If so, any advice on free ones that would do the job and do they work alongside the Windows XP firewall or should this be turned off?

I know a lot of people criticise MSN's offerings and business practices. However I'm not technically qualified to get involved in that debate. My only concern is protecting my data and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks and happy new year!

bremner 18:45 31 Dec 2006

You should not really on the Windows Firewall when there are such excellent free alternatives such as ZoneAlarm click here

howard64 18:46 31 Dec 2006

the windows firewall is next to useless - I use zone alarms free one and have not had any problems as yet {perhaps that is risking things saying it] I use online banking and run all my progs before going on line. spybot s&d, adaware, windows defender and avg.

Totally-braindead 18:48 31 Dec 2006

The trouble with the windows firewall is it only blocks one way.
Generally you can only use one firewall. I use Zone Alarm which is free for personal use. Just download it to your desktop, go offline, disable the windows one and install the Zone Alarm one. Theres other free ones if you don't like Zone Alarm click here

Technotiger 19:04 31 Dec 2006

Personally I prefer Kerio, I tried the free version and liked it so much (easier to use than ZA - which I used to use) that I bought the full version. If you would like to try the free version of Kerio you actually get the Full version for the first month, thereafter, unless you buy it, it automatically reverts to the Free version.

click here

Technotiger 19:04 31 Dec 2006

PS - I also have a hardware firewall within my Modem Router.

pcbobby 19:23 31 Dec 2006

I also disabled MS firewall.

The following was recomended by forum members.
So far -so good.
click here

Comments on this software by other members would be of interest.

bremner 19:25 31 Dec 2006

That a new one on me.

PC Magazine seemed to like it click here

birdface 22:11 31 Dec 2006

If you know a lot about computers all of those firewalls are good, But you get a lot of pop ups wanting to know if you want to accept or deny new programs, Can get a bit confusing now and then,I have tried them all but i would go with technotigers selection Kerio,Its as easy to run as windows Defender,If you download it, When box comes up Put a dot in the easy Version, So easy to use.

Green Eyes 12:18 01 Jan 2007

Thanks guys. Think I'll give Kerio a try as it seems to be efficient and easy to use from what buteman says. Do other Kerio users switch off the Windows XP firewall?

Totally-braindead 12:58 01 Jan 2007

Yes they will do. 2 firewalls can cause the same problems as 2 anti virus programs. Basically they each are doing the same thing at the same time with the result that neither works properly as they interfere with each other.
Just disable the windows one its about as much good as a chocolate teapot anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?