firewall

cass27 17:24 06 Sep 2003

I've just put in mcafee firewall on my computer. Great I thought, now I,m protected. However its beginning to get me annoyed. About every five or six minutes it tcomes up with a box to say the computor has been attacked by outside programme and gives me four options which I find a little confusing. Is this normal for this programme? Should I be always selecting a certain option to stop these boxes coming up?

Thanks for your help.

Jester2K II 17:25 06 Sep 2003

Not sure about McAfee but you'll get lots of alerts. Ignore them - probably normal net traffic. Someone here will tell you how to suppress them.

bremner 17:27 06 Sep 2003

Yes it is normal and there will be the facility to turn off the notifications.

VoG II 17:29 06 Sep 2003

If it is McAfee Personal firewall then you need to go into Utilities, Alert Settings and change them to something less intrusive.

VoG II 18:49 06 Sep 2003

Via e-mail

thanks vog but where are utilities and even if i do suppress alerts how do i know if i am suppressing something i should really be taking account of?

-------------------------

It sounds as if you have a different version to mine - in which it is about as obvious as possible.

You could have a look in the Help file.

You will only be suppressing the alerts; the firewall will still be doing its job, only quietly in the background.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:54 06 Sep 2003

You will NOT get hacked on a home computer. Hackers are not interested in the utter drivel that is on mine and everyone elses'.
The 'alerts/attacks' are merely computers on the net asking your computer if it is still connected, these queries are called handshakes. When you are connected to the net you could be going through many servers and routers. This occurs in a millisecond, so you do not notice and all these routers and servers need to know that your computer is receiving, so that they can send images and webpages to your IP which is, in effect, your mailbox or receiving station.

Turn off all the alert buttons/warnings on your firewall safe in the knowledge that you will not be hacked.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017