Firefox won't launch

_clive_ 15:01 01 Aug 2005

I've been using firefox for a while now and i'm most impressed, unfortunately it doesn't seem to start now....when i click the shortcut (or slect it from the start menu) the egg timer cursor appears for a second or two then nothing else happens.
Any suggestions to retrieve it...i don't want to lose all my bookmarks by deleting and reinstalling :(

VoG II 15:15 01 Aug 2005

If you uninstall from Control Panel, Add or Remove programs, then re-install you will not lose your bookmarks or other settings.

Mike D 17:21 01 Aug 2005

_clive_

Just to add to what VoG™ says, this was one of the regular things that used to happen to me when I was experimenting with Firefox. I lost count of how many times I reinstalled the program,which always sorted it out..

Mike

AcidBurn7uk 20:05 01 Aug 2005

Yeah. I love firefox too and have also had to do a few re-installs. Reinstalling always seems to sort it out though.

click here

For some tips on how to make firefox start faster. This is a 'gripe' that many people have, IE will load faster alot of the time, because alot of the files it uses are loaded with the OS. However, this little tweak will also load pages considerably faster than normal if you have a broadband net connection. I dont know what the downsides to this are, all I know is that I use it and it works fine for me. Remember though, you try it at your own risk.

Completealias 20:08 01 Aug 2005

There is also firetune click here which will tweak firefox to make it faster

octal 20:40 01 Aug 2005

If the above doesn't work it could be your profile folder getting corrupted, especially if you've recently installed any new extensions. Try deleting the folder and starting Firefox again, it will look for the profile folder which it won't find, so it will ask you to create a new one.

This gives the location of the profile folder click here , whilst you are looking in the profile folder search for Bookmarks.html and back it up before you delete the folder, obviously that file contains your Bookmarks. Unfortunately you will have to re-install any extensions you had installed previously.

_clive_ 12:00 02 Aug 2005

Many thanks to all of you....i did as suggested...deleted and re-installed. All working ok now!
Going to have a look at the tweaks now so i can really make it peform!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017