Firefox Slow to Load!

Graphicool1 15:19 12 Feb 2009

Anyone got any ideas that'll speed up Firefox? One click on IE7 and it's up and ready to go. One click on Firefox and you're left sitting there wondering if you really did click the icon or only imagined it!

User-1229748 15:22 12 Feb 2009

i don't use firefox but generally i think it is normally quicker than ie7,have you installed any add ons lately?

Stuartli 15:26 12 Feb 2009

The first fire up of Firefox does seem to take a long time (it's a few seconds actually), but subsequent pages come up very quickly.

However, if your time is truly valuable:

Go to Tools>Options>Advanced tab>Update> uncheck all the Automatic Update check boxes.

Or:

click here

Stuartli 15:28 12 Feb 2009

If, as you say, you "don't use firefox", how are you aware that you "generally think it is normally quicker than ie7"?

Graphicool1 15:31 12 Feb 2009

smackheadz It's always been like it, I'm on my 3rd or 4th update of it.

Stuartli I'll have a look thanx

Graphicool1 15:58 12 Feb 2009

Stuartli - Regarding smackheadz suspect knowledge on Firefox you have a point there.

I did as you said however I was pretty sure it wouldn't be ticked as I don't let anything download or update without my input...it wasn't. But 2 things, while I was in the area I tweaked a few other things I found. It now launces in 10 instead of 30 seconds. I've decided I can live with that, still I noticed some entitled 'Tweak Network Settings'? What's this then?

Stuartli 16:38 12 Feb 2009

It would normally be "No Proxy" being Enabled.

Graphicool1 11:54 13 Feb 2009

Well. for a home PC - personal use - surely there isn't any need to use a proxy server, is there? I can see how an office network might find it a good way to restrict their employees access to various web sites. To use it is to slow down your net connection right?

The next question - is probably inevitable - has IE also got this feature. Would they both have to be changed or is their an overriding control in Windows Manager? If so where and how would I go about it?

Stuartli 12:32 13 Feb 2009

That's why you Enable "No Proxy"..:-)

Re Internet Explorer. As with any other Microsoft program or application it has a comprehensive and well written Help section.

Just key in "Proxy server" into the Index's search field and then click on Display.

Graphicool1 14:02 13 Feb 2009

Sorry about that - word blindness! I had a look and it isn't enabled. Cheers anyway, I can probably sut this down now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?