Firefox shutdown

rawprawn 09:49 28 Feb 2006

Sometimes when I close Firefox (using the red cross at the top) and then go to relaunch it. I get the message "Firefox is running but not responding, you have to close Firefox or restart" It is not running, and doesn't show in Task Manager so I have to restart which is annoying. Any ideas please?

remind 09:55 28 Feb 2006

1. try using the Mozilla Firefox - Safe Mode shortcut 2. remove your extensions one by one to see if one is causing problems
3. create a new profile, export your old bookmarks and import them into the new profile, reload extensions

rawprawn 10:01 28 Feb 2006

Thanks I will try those suggestions, it may take a while to find out as it only happens about twice every ten shutdowns.

rawprawn 10:11 28 Feb 2006

How do I get to Safe Mode shortcut 2? I have opened Extensions, and removed 2 that were incompatible with my version (1.5.0.1) to see if that helps.

remind 10:13 28 Feb 2006

make a copy of your usual firefox shortcut, adjust the properties of the new one so the first line matches this
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode

CurlyWhirly 10:31 28 Feb 2006

I sometimes get that happening to me but it *is* visible in Windows Task Manager.
I see the process firefox.exe and when I end that process I am the able to relaunch Firefox.

I only seem to get this happening occasionally when I visit a website that crashes firefox with an error message "this program is not responding".

I think it is caused by these particular websites not being compatible with Firefox?
Fortunately it doesn't happen very often.

rawprawn 10:41 28 Feb 2006

I think that mine is a similar problem,and you may be right about the websites, but it definately doesn't appear in the task manager, to all intents and purposes it is not running. I also think that I have exagerated the number of times I get the problem, probably because it seems more often and annoying when I have to restart.

rawprawn 10:42 28 Feb 2006

Thanks, now I understand. I am trying it now.

rawprawn 10:48 28 Feb 2006

Ok, I have done all that. I will just have to wait now and see if it solves the problem. Thanks for your help.

CurlyWhirly 10:55 28 Feb 2006

Ok, I will accept that firefox.exe isn't running in WTM which is strange as if it isn't running then you should be able to relaunch Firefox without any problems.

I have not encountered your particular problem before so I can't comment. Sorry.

rawprawn 11:01 28 Feb 2006

I agree about WTM, it's really strange.Thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?