Firefox Security Issue

dogbreath1 10:51 03 Apr 2005

I've just seen the following thread on the boards of the TomCoyote Forums. click here
A problem has come to light which seems to suggest that the Mozilla Firefox browser can be used by certain malicious code to circumvent Internet Explorer's own security and thus infect the latter browser. I have always promoted Firefox for all of the reasons which have been stated on this forum many times before. Although I will continue to use Firefox, I do feel obliged to inform those people who have installed that browser, of need to follow develoments in this story.

Carpigiani 10:56 03 Apr 2005

Thanks for the info dogbreath1.
Will follow developments.

dogbreath1 18:15 03 Apr 2005

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

octal 19:08 03 Apr 2005

Interesting, the consensus seems to be its not only FF that is effected. I went to the particular web site featured in the code and this is part of what they say:

"XXX targets the customers through several different delivery methods such as highly effective toolbars and plug-ins available for Internet Explorer. With XXX dynamic toolbar manager, affiliates build their own toolbar and distribute it through their network.

These SiteBars can include any links to a variety of sites. Although we monitor what is included in these toolbars, affiliates are responsible to maintain the toolbar and its related links to various sites. We provide the tools for affiliates to build their toolbar, but we do not, in any way distribute these SiteBars."

I've edited out the reference to the site in case someone is tempted in clicking on the link, I don't mind because I'm running Linux, so it won't install.

I've seen this before, its usually loaded with spyware plus anything else you can think of.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone