FIREFOX SAFER THAN IE?

Drusen 14:19 24 Mar 2007

I've been reading a booklet produced by Which? Magazine. In it, they suggest using Firefox instead of IE because, from a security point of view, it's safer. Here's a quote:

"Because IE is so widely used, it attracts hackers like bees to honey. Switching to Firefox puts you at less risk - it's like moving to a postcode with a lower crime rate."

What do you make of this?

MichelleC 14:37 24 Mar 2007

I tried Firefox and my anti's came up with the same amount of intrusions as IE, so I've gone back.

provider 2 15:10 24 Mar 2007

Something of a minefield, this one. Much surprisingly aggressive for and against.click here

sunny staines 15:54 24 Mar 2007

about equal

mbp 18:43 24 Mar 2007

I use IE 7 and have had no problems. I have discarded Firefox as unnecessary.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:51 24 Mar 2007

I have yet to see a computer (home) that has been compromised by any of the so-called 'security flaws' in IE. click here will show all the security flaws in.....Firefox. I feel that much of the security nonsense spouted on the Net and elsewhere is utter cobblers.

G

woodchip 23:15 24 Mar 2007

Netscape 7.2 is safer as no many use it. It's what I use on three comps a Win98se and two XP's click here

ashdav 23:48 24 Mar 2007

Most of the results from your linked search are from 2 or more years ago. I hardly think they're relevant.
I think Firefox is more resilient against exploitation then IE but neither are perfect.
Firefox has more functions through the add-ons which can be used.
Also Firefox is not a core part of the XP operating system so IF it does screw up it won't crash your computer.

ashdav 23:49 24 Mar 2007

Also agree with you about the security paranoia.

ashdav 02:07 25 Mar 2007

Your link to Firefoxmyths is interesting in so much as why anyone would go to the trouble of creating a whole website just to decry one piece of software.
None of the links on that site for Firefox downloads actually connect to the Mozilla site. They are all to Google toolbar sites which is known to be a problem.
Just smacks of dirty deeds to me. (not on your part)

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:17 25 Mar 2007

'Most of the results from your linked search are from 2 or more years ago. I hardly think they're relevant.'....most of the links are from this year,click on the news link at the top????click here

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?