Firefox Problem following Windows Updates

Newuser939 15:51 19 Oct 2014

A few days ago my Windows 7 laptop installed the monthly batch of Microsoft updates and, at about the same time, an update to Acrobat Reader. Since then Firefox will not open properly. All I get is a dark grey screen and nothing else. I have done an uninstall/re-install but that produced exactly the same result. Everything else (including Internet Explorer and Google Chrome) is working normally. I am not sufficiently bothered to do a system restore and then re-install the updates one by one to identify the problem, but was just wondering whether anyone else had had a similar problem, and, if so, what the explanation was.

Newuser939 10:07 20 Oct 2014

Jock1e Thank you for that, but as Firefox will not open properly at all, I cannot get into Help.

spuds 10:37 20 Oct 2014

"I have done an uninstall/re-install but that produced exactly the same result"

Most likely that on re-install , there are remnants left over from the previous version, and the new re-install is only updating the previous version.

How did you try to remove Firefox?.

Might be an idea to give Revo Uninstaller a try, in the attempt to remove the previous Firefox's.

Have you also tried a previous restore point, to see if that helps.

Newuser939 13:37 21 Oct 2014

Spuds, Thank you for that. However, I did the uninstall using the most aggressive setting on Revo Uninstaller, so I don't think it can be due to a remnant being left behind. You are, of course, quite right that I could do a system restore, but that would also remove all the Microsoft updates, and I am not that concerned in view of the fact that everything else is working fine, including all other browsers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?