Firefox problem

Akinbiyi 20:22 01 Nov 2008

I've been running Firefox 3.0.3 under Vista since it was released quite OK. In the last couple of days, possibly since the latest MS patches, I've been getting problems. After 15-20 minutes running time, no pages will load. The internet connection is fine as Outlook and Internet Explorer continue to work.

If I shut down Firefox and try to restart, it says Firefox is already running. If I try to kill it in task manager, it continues to run. Logging off does not stop the process. The only thing I can do is restart. I have reinstalled Firefox, without any add ons, but that makes no difference.

Possibly just a coincidence, but when I close down the system, it now takes 2-3 minutes before any running processes are stopped, whereas before these problems began, the process would begin to close almost immediately. I don't know if this is a Windows update problem or a Firefox problem

rdave13 20:38 01 Nov 2008

With firefox closed uninstall it with Revo; click here . Once uninstalled then reboot and try a fresh install of firefox.

Akinbiyi 21:19 01 Nov 2008

It may be something else completely. I checked the Firefox forum and it mentioned possible conflicts with Zonealarm, which I am running. I then checked the Zonealarm forum and found someone with the same problem including the long shutdown. I had forgotten that I had also updated Zonealarm this week as a result of a security update notification. The moderator suggested the ZA database could be corrupted and advised a re-set. That has cured the long shutdown and I am waiting to see if Firefox stays connected to the internet over a period of time.

rdave13 21:22 01 Nov 2008

Thanks for update. Hmm Zone Alarm and Firefox. Both I've tried and disliked, LoL.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie