Is Firefox Password Manager secure?

throwitoutthewindow 13:40 21 Nov 2004

I recently started using Mozilla Firefox browser and find it easier to use than IE. Firefox has a Password manager that appears to remember passwords and usernames. Whilst this helps in not repeatedly typing them in I wonder is it secure? If someone hacked into my PC could they steal the list?

Jakey boy 14:06 21 Nov 2004

It's the same as the password manager in Internet Explorer, although I would trust any Mozilla product security-wise, before any microsoft product. You also have the option of clearing all saved password lists at the end of a session if you want.

LastChip 14:20 21 Nov 2004

I wondered the same thing.

The help file says, "Firefox can securely save passwords". Just how secure that is, I don't know. Does it mean they are encrypted or simply saved as a binary file which would not be readable without conversion?

Personally, I use the facility for what I term "semi-secure" sites, such as here, on line stores to log on, but not for any financial details; credit card numbers, that sort of thing.

I would like to know the definitive answer though!

Maybe if we search long enough, the Mozilla web site will offer the answer.

Jakey boy 14:28 21 Nov 2004

I do exactly the same as yourself. Passwords saved for "non-sensitive" sites, but for financial, online ordering etc, I wouldn't trust a password manager system.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:29 21 Nov 2004

No-one is going to hack into a home computer and even if they wanted to by-passing passwords is not too difficult a task to someone with the correct skills. Password managers are safe and save the trouble of remmbering passwords. Unless you are an MI5 spook you will be perfectly OK.

G

throwitoutthewindow 19:55 22 Nov 2004

Gandalf
I have seen your advice on other topics and the respect you gather so am inlclined to use it here. But I am not sure if you are saying it is encrypted and sonmeone could get round it, or it is not encrypted but I should not worry as no one will bother hacking into my PC?

woodt 20:43 22 Nov 2004

If you want to set a master password then you need this chrome://pippki/content/pref-masterpass.xul .You will be asked for your master password before Firefox fills in any passwords on websites. I have set mine to ask me only one i.e when I open Firefox for the first time. If you close Firefox you will have to reenter your master password again.

woodt 20:46 22 Nov 2004

Sorry I thought it would appear as alink. You have to enter

'chrome://pippki/content/pref-masterpass.xul'

into your browser address bar without the quotes.

sidecar profiteers 20:46 22 Nov 2004

LMAO @GANDALF such wise words,But does anyone listen ?

Dorsai 21:05 22 Nov 2004

The master password option in firefox is there, but i always assumed it was there to keep MY passwords secure from other users of the same PC.

A hacker wont be stopped, i realise, but also assume a hacker wont bother.

I dont want a visitor to my home to visit this site, using my saved password, and eff and blind, and get me banned. So a master password would prevent this.

throwitoutthewindow 23:03 25 Nov 2004

what is 'chrome://pippki/content/pref-masterpass.xul'?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?