Firefox incompatible with Tesco online banking

stlucia 19:21 17 Jul 2009

I've been on-line banking with Tesco for a while now, using Windows XP and Firefox. Today when I went to sign on I got a message saying my browser was incompatible, and I must use Windows Internet Explorer. In case I didn't have it, they gave a link to IE6.

Anyway, my Firefox is v3.5. Is there any addon or setting that'll make it work with Tesco? I can browse the Tesco site okay -- it's just when I try to sign on that I get the message. I have IE7, but I don't really want to have to switch to it just for Tesco.

octal 19:33 17 Jul 2009

Damned cheek, it's not the first time I've contacted a company and told them that they have lost a customer because I've been discriminated against because I can't use the software of my choice, therefore I'm not supporting them and taking my custom elsewhere. One large airline I complained to emailed me back within an hour apologising promising that it will be rectified within a week, they were as good as their word.

Anyway, enough of that, have you tried Tools>Default User Agent and selecting Windows Internet Explorer 7 (Vista)?

Technotiger 19:37 17 Jul 2009

Are you sure that the message comes from Tesco? Seems odd that they are directing you to IE6 when we are now at IE7 and IE8.

I have a naturally suspicious mind, so it may be just me, but I would advise you to run your anti-everything software just in case. Then try Tesco again, if it was working ok with Firefox previously, I don't see why it won't work now.

Or, have a look here ...

click here

octal 19:40 17 Jul 2009

Just one question, how far can you get before that message? I can sign in as far as the login screen without any problem with the normal Firefox enabled.

cocteau48 19:50 17 Jul 2009

Installing the FF add-on IE Tab click here
will automatically change the rendering engine within Firefox to IE if a website will only work with IE (like for example the MS update site)

Does not explain why it will not work now when it did before not does it absolve TESCO from blame but it is a workaround.

baldydave 19:51 17 Jul 2009

Hi,
some sites are optimised for IE and as IE does NOT follow the correct standard / protocol, the sites do not work well with browser which DO follow the correct protocol/standard eg firefox.
A work round is in firefox go to tools/add ons/browse all addons(top right)search for IE VIEW
try here
click here
install ie view click go to web page you want ie tesco then go to tools/always view this page in IE.
This takes it for granted you have IE on your pc,this is the only way round it I have found,
Hope this helps

cocteau48 19:57 17 Jul 2009

IE View asks you to make the change - IE Tab will do it automatically for you.

stlucia 21:58 17 Jul 2009

Thanks for all the input. I go to "My Account" login page, but I immediately get this message:-

"We're sorry but the internet browser you are using is not supported by My accounts. Please use a recent version of Internet Explorer.

For more information about upgrading your browser, select the link below:

Microsoft® Internet Explorer (opens in a new browser window) 6.0

Use the 'home' link to return to the Personal Finance home page."

Everything about the site seems kosher -- I've got, and run, Malaware Bytes, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, etc. with nothing found.

I've just installed the IE addon to Firefox, as per cocteau48's link, but no change. I think I had that addon before, but it seems to have been dropped during my recent upgrade to 3.5.

karmgord 22:04 17 Jul 2009

I can confirm tesco online logon won't work with the latest firefox

MAT ALAN 22:06 17 Jul 2009

if you have updated firefox, it may be a tesco issue as a security measure it is searching for a version number of your browser and since you have changed it, it does not recognise it...

Halmer 22:27 17 Jul 2009

3.5.1?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires