FireFox freeze

steve263000 10:02 18 Dec 2007

Every couple of days when I am browsing using FF, it just completely freezes without warning. Nothing can get it back, and I cannot even use Ctr/Alt/Dlte. The only thing I can do is turn off the computer at the main power switch and start again. My son does not seem to get the problem when he uses IE. I am loath to abandon FF, but this is really getting on my wick. Has anybody out there got an idea what is causing it?

birdface 10:15 18 Dec 2007

May be best to delete it.Run C Cleaner then reinstall it.Turning of at the main power switch will eventually cause some damage to your computer.

TequilaSunrise 10:15 18 Dec 2007

have you recently updated it or added any add-ons?

Stuartli 11:11 18 Dec 2007

You should turn off your computer by pressing in the case's power button and holding it in for four or five seconds - certainly NOT from the mains.

You may be experiencing overheating problems, so check that any fans or air vents are not blocked by dust.

johnnyrocker 11:18 18 Dec 2007

"My son does not seem to get the problem when he uses IE."

i would think that rules any heating/circulation probs, woud suggest as posted uninstall and reinstall.

johnny

dagbladet 11:35 18 Dec 2007

I'm having the same issue with Firefox. It worked fine for yonks, but just in the last few days it has been freezing. I don't thing i've updated anything recently.

steve263000 09:59 19 Dec 2007

When I said that I turned it off at the main power switch I meant the case's main power button. I have not added anything recently that I can think of, and I have not long reinstalled, just a few months ago, and that would be the last thing I would want to do. However, if it comes to it I will move over to IE and see if that stops the problems I guess.

birdface 11:29 19 Dec 2007

If I/E stops the problem either delete Firefox run C Cleaner and then reinstall Firefox or just delete Firefox.Either way run C Cleaner with both.

Stuartli 14:25 19 Dec 2007

Sounds more like a corrupted profile.

See:

click here

click here

steve263000 10:17 20 Dec 2007

Thanks to those who have responded, and there are certainly a few ideas to look at. The profile does seem a very distinct possibility.

One thing I forgot to mention, and I have just remembered is that 'Spydoctor' puts up a warning that it has blocked 'firefox.exe' as a malicious file, when in fact I open FF and use it. I wondered if that has anything to do with it.

birdface 10:42 20 Dec 2007

Hi Steve.Do you mean Spyware Doctor.If you mean Spydoctor I am not sure about that one.Is it from PC Tools.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?