Firefox browser hijack

m800afc 05:52 21 Sep 2008

Win XP Pro: SP3: Firefox 3.0.1
I appear to have a browser hijacker. I have run HijacjThis, but cannot find it. When I click on a link, 90% of the time a tab briefly appears labelled "Jump" or "Jump2" I am then redirected to more often than not a shopping search engine, although I occasionally get Oxfam!
I am unable to use the links on the Mozilla Knowledge Base to access information.
How can I get rid of this problem? I cannot trust the links I am being given directing me to browser hijack removers, they seem suspect, and download.com does not seem to have anything Firefox related.

octal 08:18 21 Sep 2008

You could try deleting the Profile folder and running FF3 again which will create another Profile, backup you Bookmarks first though because you will lose them otherwise, as you will lose the Addons, but they can be re-installed.

octal 08:19 21 Sep 2008

Sorry, forgot to mention where to find the profile folder, it's here:

%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\xxxxxxxx.default\

m800afc 17:35 21 Sep 2008

octal:
I have tried as you suggest, and now I cannot start firefox at all. I get an error message saying that firefox is already running, which it isn't, and I must close that before I can continue, which I am not able to do.

IE7 will not start at all.

Frankcw 20:33 23 Sep 2008

I had a similar problem and it was a virus/trojan that AVG didn't catch. Hijack this didn't find much. Firefox was opening go.google and some other sites whenever I would click a link. I ran msconfig to delete the malicious startup entries. I used Norton Antivirus 2005 and it partially took it out. It made many changes to my system. I used Malwarebytes Anti-Malware software ( click here )and it took out 35 files and registery settings now my computer is back to normal. I hope this helps and good luck!

Frank

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?