Firefox and avast

seedie 17:49 30 Jan 2006

Got firefox as default browser and wondered why every time I fire it up it contacts www. newsrss.bbc.co uk from ashWebSv.exe which is in the alwil folder. Doesn't do it with I.E.

Used to go to Amazon.uk as well but stopped that.

Thanks

CD

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:17 30 Jan 2006

Have you got an RSS plugin in firefox?

Check what extension and themes you have loaded in firefox.

seedie 18:41 30 Jan 2006

thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ will do

seedie 18:49 30 Jan 2006

Just had a look in Docs and settings........all the way to pluginsreg.dat and no mention of it :(

ade.h 18:49 30 Jan 2006

It's not a problem that I have heard of before; I used Firefox and Avast together for a while.

"...which is in the Alwil folder" - The program folder, you mean?

Check your Avast options in case anything even remotely related has changed.

seedie 19:05 30 Jan 2006

"...which is in the Alwil folder" - The program folder, you mean? Yes

Thanks for your attention

seedie 19:08 30 Jan 2006

I'm going to uninstall FF and put later ver.on:see what that does.

Thank you both for you interest.

CD

Stuartli 19:11 30 Jan 2006

If you look at the URL for this page, you will see at the end an orange square with quarter circles in it.

You must have clicked on this to add a Live Bookmark (obviously when on the BBC website).

mattyc_92 19:11 30 Jan 2006

I have FireFox and Avast! installed on this system, and I haven't had this problem before...

Are you sure that you haven't changed the "HomePage"? Tools>Options->General..... The default is "click here

seedie 09:30 31 Jan 2006

I've had a closer look at his and the BBC 'site says "Some browsers, including Firefox, Opera and Safari, have functionality which automatically picks up RSS feeds for you. For more details on these, please check their websites."

Although it seems harmless enough I don't recall asking for this or even accepting if offered.it doesn't show anything but a log shows packets exchanged between them and me everytime Firefox is used.

I don't know where Avast fits in this except that I disabled ashWebSv.exe and found I couldn't get on the net.

Ticking as solved tho' it's not; further thoughts welcome of course.

Best wishes

CD
ps some things seem to be free but not as free as they seem

Stuartli 20:38 31 Jan 2006

I use Firefox and Avast! and I don't get live RSS feeds because I haven't enabled the facility.

You must have done so inadvertently.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017