firefox ? asking to update?

p;3 00:30 04 Apr 2005

win 98SE IE6 and firefox on Tower

when running the firefox browser, I get a small pop-up window asking me if I wish to ?update? the browser; I "ve got a firefox set up 1.0.1 exe parked on my desktop; and have just had another little window asking me if I wish to update; as this never happens when working in IE6 , any clues as to what is expected from/of me by this reminder ? and what the download exe might do?

p;3 22:18 04 Apr 2005

yep; and a load of "credits" too (wonder how much money I can have::))

Stuartli 10:54 05 Apr 2005

I've done it both ways - installed over the existing version and uninstalled first before new installation.

Didn't seem to make any difference but the Mozilla website does state to uninstall current version first. Must be some reason to provide this advice.

However, I've never regretted the switch to both Firefox and Thunderbird about six months ago.

But I do miss all that daily constant updating, patching etc of Internet Explorer and Outlook Express - the days seem very long and empty now.....:-)

JayDay 12:13 05 Apr 2005

Whatever you do uninstall the previous version of Firefox. I didn't and the system kept crashing. Check in Add/Remove programs that you don't have two entries one for version 1.01 and one for 1.02.

shizzy 21:44 05 Apr 2005

Probably should have thought and uninstalled first but the balloon popped up recommending the update, I clicked ok and it did the rest in one go as p;3 says.

p;3 21:53 05 Apr 2005

I"ve "gone one better"; I have firefox versions 1.0;1.0.1;1.0.2 on here ::))) and so far OK; however, normally use IE6; and none uninstalled

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?