Firefox 4 beta on linux?

Jwbjnwolf 21:38 26 Oct 2010

I have Mandriva Linux 2010 spring on my laptop and I have tried downloading firefox 4 beta but it goes it opens up in archive manager instead of the installer so I suggest that it was the DOS file that is for windows and not for linux as linux is on a unix based system
Does anyone know if mozilia has brought out a linux version or will I have to wait till the final finnised one?

MAT ALAN 21:51 26 Oct 2010

click here

try the correct version from here...

Jwbjnwolf 22:08 26 Oct 2010

It still comes up in the Archive Manager instead of the installer, or at least I cannot find an installation file in the archive

Jwbjnwolf 22:09 26 Oct 2010

done the eng u.s linux download

LastChip 00:12 27 Oct 2010

It's essentially what would be known as a zip file in Windows. It has to be decompressed first and then installed manually; which is why it is correctly opening in your archive manager.

If you don't understand the process, you need to do some homework first, to find out how it's done. You may even find there's a readme file within the decompressed folder, that explains the process to you.

Why is it done this way? It saves the developers having to compile many different versions for different distros.

finerty 01:06 27 Oct 2010

I use Linux mint and the full version of Firefox comes with it and can be upgraded when new versions come out

finerty 01:07 27 Oct 2010

you can find by googling the linux shop and buying from there

LastChip 14:01 27 Oct 2010

If you want to change a distro, simply download it and burn the iso on to a CD/DVD.

In the case of Linux mint, click here and go to the download page for which ever version you want.

If you don't know how to burn an iso, click here

Jwbjnwolf 16:56 27 Oct 2010

Could you add a link to show what needs to be done with this firefox zip file?

LastChip 18:56 27 Oct 2010

First off, you do realise this is beta software and there is no guarantee it won't give problems in your system.

Second, the Firefox website offers two lists of packages that need to be installed, before Firefox will probably work. The first list I'm about to give you is essential, without it, Firefox won't work at all.

Software Requirements
Please note that Linux distributors may provide packages for your distribution which have different requirements.

* Firefox will not run at all without the following libraries or packages:

o GTK+ 2.10 or higher

o GLib 2.12 or higher

o Pango 1.14 or higher

o X.Org 1.0 or higher

So you need to check your package manager, to make sure the above packages are installed.

The second set will provide a better experience, but is not essential to the core operation.

* For optimal functionality, we recommend the following libraries or packages:

o NetworkManager 0.7 or higher

o DBus 1.0 or higher

o HAL 0.5.8 or higher

o GNOME 2.16 or higher

You haven't mentioned your hardware specs, but this is what you need as a minimum.

Minimum Hardware

* Pentium 233 MHz (Recommended: Pentium 500 MHz or greater)

* 64 MB RAM (Recommended: 128 MB RAM or greater)

* 52 MB hard drive space

Having got all that out of the way, I would suggest you download (or if you've already done that) move your tar file into your home folder.
It will become obvious why, in a moment or two.

Once you've got to this point, you need to open a terminal.

I don't know how familiar you are with Linux and terminals, so I'll run through these basics first.

When you're in a terminal session, if the command prompt ends with a $, you are there as yourself (called user). If the command prompt ends with a #, you are there as root (sometimes known as super user, or what would be administrator in Windows. Generally, you can't install programs on a Linux machine as user, you normally have to be root.

WARNING, you can't do much damage as user, you can easily DESTROY YOUR SYSTEM AS ROOT. Linux is a system that assumes if you are root, you know what you're doing. It does not give you second chances like Windows that says are you sure, no, really are you very sure!!! You tell Linux to do something and it will do it without any further question, providing the command is good.

SO BE CAREFUL!

Not sure how I'm doing on post length, so I'll start part 2.

LastChip 19:26 27 Oct 2010

Remember, now you're in the terminal, no command will be executed without hitting the "Enter" key, so assume all commands are followed by "Enter".

The first command to type is:

cd ~

That is a short-cut to take you to your home folder.

The next command is:

tar xjf firefox-*.tar.bz2

The tar part of the command, unzips the compressed file.

Now, it appears on closer inspection, Firefox has thoughtfully provided pre-compiled binarys that may run from this point forward. You'll have to just try and see. To do this, type:

~/firefox/firefox

If Firefox runs, you can stop now and even provide a short-cut onto your menu consisting of the same command, or whatever Mandriva specifies. This is normally done via a "launcher". If you choose not to do that, you will have to run it each time from the command line.

If it doesn't, then you need to compile it from source to suit your own system. However, if you just get an error message, it may be worth doing a search to see if it's a common problem and whether a fix is available.

Let us know how you get on and if it doesn't work, whether you want to continue and compile from source.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?