firefox 3.0 slow

random-fish 16:35 22 Jun 2008

hi

i recently downloaded and installed firefox 3.0 and since then my computer has been running extremly slowley, is it likely that the two things are related? has anyone else experianced the same thing?

any suggestions on how i can resolve these issues?

thanks

Halmer 16:40 22 Jun 2008

one of my PCs (three times in a week) but it runs as quick as any browser I've used without any impact on the PCs' overall performance in general.

Why don't you uninstall it to see if the PC reverts back to type?

anniesboy 16:56 22 Jun 2008

Do you have any add ons?.If you do it may be worth disabling them and trying again.
It is possible that some thing is not compatible with FF3.
If that resolves it enable one at a time.
Having said I gather a few people are reporting slowness.

birdface 17:24 22 Jun 2008

Open Task manager that will tell you what is hogging your CPU.Under processes.Cpu.System idle process should be showing about 97% when nothing is running.What programs are using up your CPU.

dogbreath1 17:55 22 Jun 2008

Firefox 3 is on five computers I have access to (4 x XP & 1 x Vista). It's very fast so your problem isn't FF3 in itself. Try launching it in Safe Mode (Start>All Programs>Mozilla Firefox>Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode)). This will disable all Add-Ons and help to eliminate those as a problem.

manrow 20:48 22 Jun 2008

Task Manager does reveal that firefox is running something in the background at levels up to 50% of CPU in my experience.

Sometimes I close firefox and immediately re-open to avoid this problem.

uninstall any add ons.Add the add ons one by one ensuring you have the latest ie adblock plus.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?