Firefox 2.0 .0.14 won't re-install after Beta3.

Daibus 12:18 23 May 2008

I installed the new Firefox 3 Beta version but because it does not support quite a few add-ons I tried to go back to Firefox 2.0.0.14, but without success.

Even when I did a system restore, version 2.0.0.14 would not re-install onto my laptop as an error message is always displayed.

I presume there maybe some files left on my PC from the beta version, so how can I go back and re-install the previous version of Firefox?

Cheers.

EARLR 12:32 23 May 2008

It from Mozilla.
Good Luck

cocteau48 12:36 23 May 2008

Hi Daibus
So far as getting 2.0.0.14 back on the system is concerned then you may have to go through the uninstall/reinstall process.
So far as getting it all back the way it was before ..... you have probably got problems.
Installing version 3 ,while it would run alongside 2.0.0.14,has in fact altered your profile which affects whatever version you are running.
Your profile - which is in Documents and Settings/User Name/Application Data/Mozilla is totally independent of the Firefox folder in program files but is altered by alterations which you make to Firefox. You will probably find that you have lost the add-ons which were not compatible with version 3.
You should have saved a copy of your profile before trying out version 3 .... it is no consolation but I found out the hard way too.

cocteau48 12:46 23 May 2008

I should also point out that the Beta versions of Firefox 3 installed themselves into a separate folder in program files so should be able to be installed/uninstalled independently of each other.(but still affecting your profile as I described above)
The RC1 version currently available ,in my case anyway, actually overwrote the version 2 installation.

Daibus 13:02 23 May 2008

Many thanks for your help.

In the end I deleted Firefox from Application Data which then allowed 2.0.0.14 to be installed although without anything from the old Profile folder included.

I had tried to install a previous folder via MozBackup, that I have on my PC, without success but after the latest reinstall a previous folder did manage to install so giving me back all my previous settings in Firefox - voila !

Cheers again for your help.

cocteau48 13:30 23 May 2008

I glad to hear that you are sorted.
I am not looking forward to the final release of Firefox 3 as some of my most used add-ons are still not compatible with it.

Daibus 14:08 23 May 2008

Yes I agree with you - only about 3 of my add-ons were compatible with Firfox Beta3, and many of the others I don't really want to be without.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?