Finding Windows XP Product Key?

Legslip 12:13 25 Jan 2011

My pal has ditched his old PC apart from the HDrive. There was no XP Product key on the case of the old PC. Is it possible to retrieve the key from the old drive? I have it plugged into my desktop via USB.

onthelimit 12:17 25 Jan 2011

But what would you use it for?

Jollyjohn 12:35 25 Jan 2011

I understand the key to be stored in an encrypted fashion so it cant be retrieved. If your friend still has the bits and you can boo the hdd then use "Magical jellybean" keyfinder this will recover the key.

You could disconnect your hdds and plug in your friends and try booting it - you will get lots of messages about finding new hardware and it may not be very stable but it should give you time to run the key finder mentioned above.

Link to it click here

GaT7 12:38 25 Jan 2011

As Jollyjohn says, AFAIK it can only be done if you can use the HDD to boot into WinXP. Then run a product key finder program. G

Legslip 12:43 25 Jan 2011

Thanks people. Yes, already tried MagicJellyBean and it looks as though I will have to try and boot from the disk. Here goes!

Legslip 13:47 25 Jan 2011

Tried but wouldn't boot from the disk. No other way of finding it?

gengiscant 13:52 25 Jan 2011
  GaT7 14:00 25 Jan 2011

Didn't think it was possible, but just came across this click here. The registry files should still be intact, so it'll be possible if that program is any good. G

Legslip 14:05 25 Jan 2011

Thanks Gengis. Seems to have done the trick.

Legslip 14:19 25 Jan 2011

Thanks Crossbow as well!!

GaT7 14:30 25 Jan 2011

No problem Legslip. 8 minutes too late really! gengis is in top form this afternoon.

Very useful program isn't it? It's been quite a while since I visited the Nirsoft site. They have some other useful freeware utilities - I feel like a child in a sweet shop ;-), G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?