Finding very large files

Dobba 17:41 26 Sep 2006

Normally, my 40 gig hard drive uses about half the capacity, but I have just noticed that nearly all the available space on the disk has been used up. This means that recently, approx. 20 gigs of space has been used, presumably by one or more files.
Norton Anti Virus has not come up with anything.
Is there a way I can show a list of all files on my computer, together with the amount of space they occupy on the hard disk, so that I can locate the culprit?
Thanks
Dobba.

Belatucadrus 17:52 26 Sep 2006

Windirstat click here like sequoiview only a little more informative.

Batch 17:59 26 Sep 2006

In Windows Explorer, right click the drive and select Search. Don't enter any search criteria (or put a filename of *.* in).

This will list all of the files on your drive. Then sort by size by clicking on the Size column heading.

To reallly see all the files you may need to go into the Advanced Options and tick the boxes to show all of the system files etc. But be careful not to delete any system files!

Tys_mom 22:10 26 Sep 2006

A program that will show you what is taking up all your hard drive space..also will allow you to delete directly from this site. It worked for me..showed me where all my spce was going and what files were taking up way tooo much space. (spacemonger)

Dobba 13:48 29 Sep 2006

Thanks. Good to know that there is a programme that will help me, but you don't say where I can download a copy
Regards
Alan

rdave13 13:55 29 Sep 2006

This is the last freeware version. click here

VoG II 13:56 29 Sep 2006

click here 30 day trial.

Dobba 13:02 16 Oct 2006

Using Windirstat, I have found one very large file stated to be C:\recycler\N Protect.
I've no idea what this is, but it could be something to do with Norton Anti Virus, which I have installed. Anybody any ideas?

recap 13:15 16 Oct 2006

Possible solution to the problem is as follows: Start/Run - type "command.com" which opens the command line interface.
Run the following command exactly as typed: rd /S "\\?\C:\recycler\nprotect"

The following links should explain why you need to run the above Command.

click here;en-us;315226
click here;en-us;320081

recap 13:19 16 Oct 2006

Sorry keep forgetting about the long MS links, the following should work

click here
click here

Belatucadrus 00:12 17 Oct 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Illustrator Mariana Rodrigues' beautiful flora and fauna for Bombay Sapphire gin

How to remove Mac ransomware

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?