Finding out about NAS Drives

wee eddie 10:40 22 Jun 2015
Answered

Does one leave them on 24/7, all year round.

Or Does one turn them on, when you expect to need their content and off when you don't expect to accessing their content.

Other questions will follow, as I fail to understand what I find on Google

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:04 22 Jun 2015

Normally leave on all the time connected to your router and you can access them from any machine connected to the internet or from your home network.

If you only want to connect inside your home then you don't need a NAS.

wee eddie 17:44 22 Jun 2015

If I get a Tablet with a Docking Station, could I leave an External Drive permanently connected to the Docking Station then? Save a load of moulah!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:06 22 Jun 2015
Answer

I have an external drive, containing music videos and photos, connected to the USB port on my router.

This allows me to access these files via cable to the PC, home plugs to my Humax (TV) and wireless to my laptop and tablet anywhere in my home or garden.

Bris 18:47 22 Jun 2015

What is your concern re leaving it on, use of electricity, wearing out the drives, heat issues?

bumpkin 19:04 22 Jun 2015

Why do you need or want one would be the first question. What exactly do you wish to do with it that you cannot do with a normal ext drive.

wee eddie 21:01 22 Jun 2015

I think that the life of the Drives is my main concern,

I was thinking of replacing my PC with a Surface Pro but I have far too much to keep on the Pro's limited Hard Drive but need to be able to access it quite often.

Bris 08:19 23 Jun 2015

Re the longevity of the drives, I have a CCTV system that I installed in 2009 that runs 24/7 with a 500GB Seagate Barracuda drive installed and still going strong.

Bris 08:23 23 Jun 2015

Re the longevity of the drives, I have a CCTV system that I installed in 2009 that runs 24/7 with a 500GB Seagate Barracuda drive installed and still going strong.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?