Finding Old Versions of a BIOS

Golding 08:54 07 Apr 2006

Since I upgraded the BIOS some programs will not run. The new BIOS is PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0. Installing it took the BIOS version from A4 to A11. First off, I would like to downgrade the BIOS to something between A4 and A11. The problem is finding any site which provides old versions of a BIOS. Secondly, I understand that Phoenix recently issued Release 6.1 and I would like to try using that to solve my problem but again I cannot find a site where I can download it.

Stuartli 09:06 07 Apr 2006
  Microdot 09:25 07 Apr 2006

Motherboard manufacturer and Type number would be helpful in locating versions of Bios available.

Cheers de Art.

Golding 20:32 07 Apr 2006

Microdot, Motherboard is Intel SE440BX-2 and the Chipset is Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3. I hope this is useful.

Stuartli 23:38 07 Apr 2006

Have you actually looked at the links provided?

DieSse 23:44 07 Apr 2006

This is the latest BIOS released for this motherboard click here - it doesn't tie in with the versions you gave.

I would caution you strongly against using BIOS versions from anywhere other than the motherboard manufacturer. It often happens that manufacturers customise BIOSs for their boards, making them different from the BIOS suppliers "standard" version.

Golding 09:19 08 Apr 2006

Stuartli and DieSse, Many thanks to you both. I tried all the sites provided by by Stuartli and the best was the Intel site. The link provided by DieSse also took me to the Intel site where I downloaded the latest upgrade for my motherboard. I ran this but the result was exactly the same as the BIOS I was already running (originally downloaded from the Dell site). Thus my BIOS still shows the OS as Win98 instaed of Win98SE. I appreciate the point made by DieSse about the dangers of using the BIOS supplier's version but I would like to try version 6.1 from Phoenix as neither Intel nor Dell provide that version yet.

Stuartli 10:24 08 Apr 2006

>>but I would like to try version 6.1 from Phoenix as neither Intel nor Dell provide that version yet.>>

Unless you are absolutely sure that the Bios to which you refer is intended for your motherboard in all respects, then you might/could well end up with a non-working motherboard.

Golding 11:24 08 Apr 2006

Stuartli, Yes, but I assume I could always re-install from the disks I already have containing the Dell or Intel versions, or is this a no-no?

DieSse 23:02 08 Apr 2006

*Thus my BIOS still shows the OS as Win98 instaed of Win98SE*

It isn't the BIOS that shows your OS as anything - the BIOS doesn't do that. I'm not even sure whether Win98SE is specifically identified by systems anyway - perhaps someone else can answer that - but why does that matter?

If you want to get a readout of what's in your system, try Everest or SIW or Belarc

click here

click here

click here

PS after you do a BIOS upgarde, you should reset your CMOS - that's standard recommended advice for BIOS upgrades.

If you upgrade using a "wrong" BIOS and your system screws up (as it can) - you may not be able to get far enough to put in a different BIOS!

DieSse 23:05 08 Apr 2006

*I would like to try version 6.1 from Phoenix as neither Intel nor Dell provide that version yet.*

...and they won't for that motherboard - it's far to old for them to be producing upgrades for it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?