Finding a document

Molly_Don 17:50 28 Sep 2009

Is it possible to trace a document I had saved on my desktop

I'm about to sell the machine and tried to clear the hard drive by ticking all the boxes using CC.

I thought I had a copy of the document stored on CD, my mistake.

John B 18:15 28 Sep 2009

You've probably already had a look at this sort of thing click here= Depending on how long ago the file was deleted (and at what level of secure delete you had cc set to)you might have a chance. There are some free trials in the link, it might be worth a try and then consider a purchase; depends on the value of the file to you I suppose.

Molly_Don 18:29 28 Sep 2009

Hi John

I did Google prior to posting, problem is, computers and me don't get on, not much idea what I'm doing / looking for, so was hoping someone can advice me.

Sea Urchin 18:35 28 Sep 2009

CCleaner will not "clear your hard drive" in the sense that you mean - it will not remove files and documents, but only clean up your registry and hard drive. Here is the program description:

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner.

To try and find your missing document go to Start and Search - type in the name of the document, and if it's still there you should find it.

Molly_Don 18:45 28 Sep 2009

Hi Sea Urchin

Thanks for helping out, I tried what you suggested but nothings come up, I'm sure the document is somewhere on my system.

Sometime ago, you suggested in another thread how to hide text by covering it with a picture, that's what I've lost, it was a document that had my passwords, I can't remember my hotmail password. I've tried a password reset but cannot remember the email address I had stored, arghhhhhhhhhhh.

John B 18:52 28 Sep 2009

click here and it comes from the ccleaner stable.

Molly_Don 18:55 28 Sep 2009

Cheers John

Found it, what a relief.

Sorry for wasting people's time.

Sea Urchin 19:16 28 Sep 2009

Glad to hear it's reappeared - as you said in your original posting it's always a good idea to have a backup of such documents on removable storage such as a USB flash drive.

But going back to the question - if you are selling your PC you need to use a program that will destroy all personal information from your hard drive/s. This may give you some help

click here

Sea Urchin 19:20 28 Sep 2009

PS Download of Eraser is towards the bottom of the page under heading of Resources

Molly_Don 13:46 29 Sep 2009

Thanks Sea Urchin

I'll give that a go closer to the time of selling.

Molly_Don 13:47 29 Sep 2009

Thanks Sea Urchin

I'll give that a go closer to the time of selling.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?