finding the correct driver for multi-media control

safe as milk 13:28 05 Dec 2009

I've lost sound and Device Manager indicates there's no driver for the Multimedia Audio Controller. My PC documentation says the soundcard is 'Realtek AC 97 for VIA R Audio Controller'. Motherboard is K8V-MX from Asustek. I've looked on both their websites to do the download but am confused about finding the right driver. And I'm also uncertain about what to do when i've eventually downloaded it.

Please could some kind soul talk me through this?

I'm on Windows XP Home.

Graphicool1 13:46 05 Dec 2009

'Control Panel'
'Sounds and Audio Devices'
Make sure nothing is switched to 'Mute'

birdface 13:49 05 Dec 2009

And check that it is not switched of on your keyboard.
Check and see if Microsoft has tried to update it recently if so go to Device manager and roll back the driver.

not sure if this is the one.

click here

maybe better waiting to see what others suggest.

safe as milk 13:51 05 Dec 2009

thanks, but that's not the problem. I've got no volume control, no audio device and no playback device. There's the large yellow question mark against Multimedia Audio Controller in Device manager. No driver installed.

safe as milk 13:53 05 Dec 2009

thanks Buteman - my previous post was in response to Graphicool1.

Sea Urchin 13:53 05 Dec 2009

Download the driver from here click here

(the blue Download bar - NOT the red download)

Save it to your desktop. Then double-click the saved file and follow prompts to unzip and install the driver.

Restart your computer.

safe as milk 13:54 05 Dec 2009

thanks sea urchin - and it's safe to do this from a 3rd party site, rather than the realtek or asus sites?

safe as milk 14:14 05 Dec 2009

ok, i've downloaded the zip folder to my desktop. when I doubleckick it, I don't get any prompts, I simply see a folder called Realtek. That contains 2 other folders 'config' and 'WDM' as well as a 17 items - mainly applications - with names such as 'alcrmv.' 'data', 'setup' and so on. I've no idea where to go next.

anyone?

Sea Urchin 14:23 05 Dec 2009

OK - that's fine. Double click on the file called setup.exe and that will run the driver installation - follow the prompts.

safe as milk 11:13 06 Dec 2009

hmmm - problem persists. I did as sea urchin suggested and an installation process seemed to go ahead, but, following restart, the big yellow question mark persists in the same place as before. In System Information, under 'Problem Devices' it still says 'The drivers for this device are not installed.' It gives a lengthy PNP Device ID which may or may not be helpful but means nothing to me.

I'm flummoxed.

birdface 11:49 06 Dec 2009

Maybe try the free version of Driver max.
It will only let you update 1 driver a day but that is probably all that you need.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017