Find unknown password for HP laptop

algernonymous 10:41 21 Oct 2014
Answered

Morning All, A friend of mine sadly lost her Mum a few weeks ago and she now has her HP laptop but does not know the password. (Nor the hints) I offered to try and find it as I knew about Ophcrack but it is just returning error messages. Any other help please? HP Pavilion dv6-2108ea, Win7 Home Premium Thanks.

Jollyjohn 10:56 21 Oct 2014

Go here - click here download and burn to a cd (or usb)

Boot from cd - generally accept defaults - select option to unlock ( or clear) admin account password.

This will simply clear the password and allow access.

Google for SIW - it used to reveal passwords on a PC, not sure if it has been updated for W7 - if it works it will reveal passwords for eMail etc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:22 21 Oct 2014

If you can't reset the password

Access the drive using a Linux boot CD to extract whatever data you need of it.

Then reset it to factory settings.

algernonymous 11:38 22 Oct 2014

Thanks for replies but no luck so far. I also tried this Ubuntu trick which looked promising right up until the last step when it said it couldn't find the file. But at least I can access the data if I need to as suggested by Fruit Bat.

click here

rdave13 11:48 22 Oct 2014
Answer

You should be able to download a win 7 iso if you haven't got a disc so have a look at this step by step guide, click here.

Jollyjohn 14:03 22 Oct 2014

I could post you a pre burnt CD if needed. I have found the disc straight forward to use and always works.

algernonymous 14:40 25 Oct 2014

Thanks rdave! that did the trick. And thanks Jollyjohn, I did burn and use the disc you suggested but with no luck. However it was instrumental in my eventual success using rdave's post, as it revealed another name on the machine but I was unable to access on the login screen. When I was at the command prompt window using the Win7 Repair Disc I typed in the name of the user showing on the login screen and it came back 'user not found'. So I typed in the other name, which it recognised, and was able to change the password.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Jollyjohn 15:05 25 Oct 2014

Thanks. That is interesting. I am going to double check how that disc works with Windows 7 as it is quite an old program.

Glad you got access to the laptop. click here is Asterix password spy - this will reveal passwords that are behind asterix. Now you have access to the laptop this may help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?