THE FINAL SAY ON FREE VIRUS PROTECTION?

Drusen 16:11 01 Dec 2006

Following the kind recommendations of many forum users, I have listed below what appears to be the best free AV software. If I install all of these, will I be adequately protected or will I need some other software?

AVG 7.5
Zone Alarm Firewall
Windows Defender (I presume this is not part of Windows)
Ad-Aware
Spybot Search and Destroy or
Spyware Blaster? (Which one is best?)
A-Squared Anti-Malware and Antidialer
Ccleaner

Other recommendations include (please let me know what you think):

Comodo Firewall
Avast AV
Ewido AntiTrojan
Defender Anti-spyware

Are these better than those in the first list?

One final thing: the only AV software I have is MacAffee AV that was preloaded on the PC. Will it be safe for me to navigate to the AV websites and download the software?

VoG II 16:14 01 Dec 2006

Do not install more than one anti-virus program - they can conflict.

carper 16:17 01 Dec 2006

I use all the programmes in your first list and have never had any problems. However if yoou are thinking of adding more programmes make sure that you don't have more than one firewall. That includes turning off windows firewall if you are on XP.
Hope this helps Carper

keef66 16:18 01 Dec 2006

I have all those except Windows Defender and Spyware blaster, and despite the best attempts of 2 teenagers with unlimited broadband access, MSN, Bearshare and the like, manage to keep the pc free of nasties

provider 2 16:21 01 Dec 2006

Check this out:
click here

Belatucadrus 16:28 01 Dec 2006

Firewall :- Comodo/ZoneAlarm both good, whatever suits you.
AntiVirus :- Again both good, I prefer avast! but there are many who favour AVG. I concur with VoG™ one AV package only, fitting two simultaneously is a recipe for disaster.
Anti spyware :- all the ones you've listed have their champions here, any one will do. But just to confuse the issue here's another option and my current favourite click here Spyware Terminator. Regarding the which one Spywareblaster or Spybot S&D question, they're not directly compatible as SpywareBlaster is a passive spyware blocker, it doesn't scan for anything unlike Spybot which scans for stuff and then removes it. Spybot does have a blocker feature similar to SpywareBlaster, but it's not as comprehensive.

Jackcoms 16:33 01 Dec 2006

They say you can never have too much anti-malware protection, but that depends on how much available HDD space you have and how much you want to slow down your PC.

However, as VoG™ says, you should only have one AV program.

With that in mind, I've recently cut back on what I use.

I use Avast AV, Windows Defender (for real-time anti-malware protection), SpywareBlaster (as a malware 'blocker') and A2 as a stand-alone malware scanner.

I also use the Windows firewall and a lot of common sense.

Jackcoms 16:35 01 Dec 2006

Oh, and I also use CCleaner - but that's not an AV nor an anti-malware program - just an excellent crap cleaning tool.

keef66 16:53 01 Dec 2006

Forgot about Crapcleaner! Marvellous invention.

golfpro 17:22 01 Dec 2006

One thing you haven't listed is "Common sense" its the most important.

Jackcoms 17:28 01 Dec 2006

"One thing you haven't listed is "Common sense" its the most important".

Read my post of 16:33.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017