My friend seems to have solved it. She says:
"I went in <my programs> then <security> then <help> and several menu's came up,
I clicked on <troubleshooting> then <internet shield> then <application control>,
in the information I clicked on the link for 'allow and log mode' and it displayed this info:
Allow and log mode
When you use Application Control to allow and log all new applications that connect to the internet, Application Control does not prompt you to select whether you want to allow or deny connections, but it adds all applications to the list under the Connecting tab.
It then tells you how to change them so I went in to the <Internet shield> page of the main user interface, clicked <configure> beside <applications allowed/denied>, then 'advanced settings' windows opens, then clicked <internet shield application control page> and found that the internet explorer was at 'deny' and changed it to 'allow'.
This has worked as of yet and my security is no longer jeopardized."
Hope this is useful.