Film Scanner advice please

sunshine65 19:21 03 May 2010

I would like to buy a dedicated film scanner, I can afford up tp £200, can anyone recommend one ?, bear in mind please that I am a basic computer user. Many yhanks.

Ian in Northampton 13:13 04 May 2010

Hmmm - you may find £200 is between the devil and the deep blue sea - i.e. more than you could get a flatbed scanner with film capability for that would deliver acceptable results (depending on what you're looking for) and a real professional grade film scanner that would give you excellent results. My wife bought me a dedicated film scanner for £80, and it wasn't even as good as my multipurpose flatbed scanner, so it got sent back. Not sure it helps, but I've just converted around 1,000 35mm slides using an HP Scanjet 4850. I can't claim the results were great, but for my purposes - mainly keeping images for nostalgic purposes and only ever showing them on screen, rather than printing high quality art images - it worked OK, and had the benefit of being very inexpensive.

john bunyan 13:30 04 May 2010

I strongly reccomend a flatbed with film capacity - I bought a Canonscan 8800f for £160 at a branch of the London Camera Exchange who use one in the shop for 35 mm slides, 35 mm film and 120 film. Results as good as a dedicated one at this price.

northumbria61 14:16 04 May 2010

I agree with "john bunyan" comments - I have the Canon Canoscan 8600F and the results are excellent.

Tonsie 14:26 04 May 2010

Last year I bought the Epsom Perfection V300.A brilliant flatbed scanner.It gives new life to 35mm slides and film.
Tonsie.

Diemmess 15:58 04 May 2010

...... the previous three and me all seem to think this.
The Epson perfection V100 is old hat now but when I bought one I didn't realise at the time just how good it is, I had bought it to replace a duff flatbed.

All the old Kodachome transparencies were sifted for the best and scanning was fuss free if a little slow. Film strips will cope with six at a time on mine or four transparencies

The result is excellent, showing camera shake rather than low resolution it things were at all blurry.

The best dedicated film scanners are good but not so good to justify around 4 X the price of the facility in a flatbed.
I think the dedicated ones are obsolete unless you go to exotica of industrial size and then choose very carefully.

john bunyan 16:29 04 May 2010

I have a Nikon Coolscan 2 - now sadly redundant because it has a SCSI interface. You are welcome to it, but drivers etc are not available. The 8800f is as good!

Toneman 18:18 04 May 2010

My dedicated film scanner (Primefilm 1800u} only did one negative at a time and was fiddly to adjust the settings. Now have an Epson V200 Photo, presume now superseded by the V300, and gives perfectly acceptable results on the automatic setting, a lot less fuss.

amonra 18:52 04 May 2010

Another endorsement for the Canoscan 8800F, an excellent machine with enough software to do almost anything with your negatives (or positives).

bobty 17:30 18 May 2010

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache