files skipped during Virus scanning

HowardMoon 11:50 11 Sep 2006

Hi.

I have been trying out the BullGuard virus scan
and it stated the following after scan.

22 files skipped during scanning

Some files could not be scanned as they were in use by other programmes (don't know what i have just rebooted the computer with Recovery/System cds)

During a scanning, BullGuard may skip some files. This is because these files
are in use either by application or Windows. It can also be caused by a password-protected
file.

When scanning an entire computer, it is normal that a number of files are skipped

I have never experienced this with other software

Also a BullGuard pop up stated this

Bullgard detected a man-in-the-middle.

Is this all normal

ArrGee 12:19 11 Sep 2006

Try to run the scan in Safe Mode.

TomG 20:13 12 Sep 2006

Some AV programs cannot scan every file (the ones you mention and compressed files) - personally I would avoid it and find another program.

marisom 14:17 13 Sep 2006

I have files skipped with 'F Secure' so dont change to that

michaelandjolou 20:15 13 Sep 2006

If you're unsure about Anti-virus programmes try out avg antivirus. Theres a free version that updates regularly and it seems to have rave reviews in some of the other forums.
If you want to pay, try Kaspersky or McAfee. PCAdvisor recently did a review and these two came out on top.

ade.h 20:49 13 Sep 2006

Quite how McAfee came out on top of anything beggars belief, but anyway...

You need not worry about skipped files; that is perfectly normal behaviour. For the paranoid, AV scans can be performed in Safe Mode without Networking, in which state fewer files are in use. You should remember that there is a lot going on behind the scenes while an OS is running.

For the record, F-Secure is regarded as one of the best AVs available, and has been for many years. Bullguard is perhaps less highly regarded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?