Files infected with trojan, does opening them activate it?

edtvmadness 01:17 01 Feb 2015
Answered

I have several very important Microsoft Publisher 2003 files infected with a trojan JS:ScriptIP-inf [Trj]

I had backed them up two years ago on an external hard drive so I went to get copies off that drive but strangely they were infected too- meaning I had a trojan for two years but showing no obvious effect.

1) Can I disinfect the files? Avast's Fix Automatically cannot repair and sends straight to the 'chest'/quarantine 2) Can I open the files and copy the contents over to a new file, then delete the old ones? 3) Will opening the file activate the trojan?

Cheers Ed.

rdave13 01:44 01 Feb 2015

An older thread here.

I'd go for a false positive not updated by Avast.

Otherwise your choice is to delete the folder/s .

I'd go for a false positive.

Do what you wish to do with your files and folders is my humble opinion. 1]: [click here

Ian in Northampton 09:46 01 Feb 2015

Fwiw, my only annoyance with Avast is that, on occasions, an update brings with it a decision that a perfectly harmless file that's been installed forever and never given any problems is now suspicious. It happened recently with a Money program file - a .dll, IIRC. I elected to tell Avast it was a false positive, and have seen no negative consequences.

Secret-Squirrel 10:11 01 Feb 2015
Answer

"....several very important Microsoft Publisher 2003 files infected with a trojan......"

It could well be a false positive so upload one of them here and it'll be scanned by at least fifty different anti-virus engines. The report will help you decide if it's safe to open or not. Do the same for your other Publisher files.

Please remember to return with some feedback this time.

rdave13 11:52 01 Feb 2015

Secret-Squirrel , that's a handy site and have bookmarked, thanks.

edtvmadness 15:49 01 Feb 2015

Thank you all and Secret-Squirrel that is an excellent site to use. Was a false positive I'd say.

V helpful, Cheers, ed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?