Files

podlod 09:15 16 Mar 2007

Hi peoples, I went to a computer shop the other day and asked why is my PC slowing up, and they replied by saying I have had my PC now for over a year and although I do play quite a few games, I do remove them often and when I do that, a lot of info and saved games log up and remain on the computer, and although I remove cookies and files etc, there are thousands that stay on the PC. He said to remove them he will have to have the computer in for a day or more and he will save what I need on the PC and remove all the hidden files. Is this true or is he just saying that to earn some extra cash from me that I can simply do, and can I do this myself, if so and how?
Thanks for any help.

silverous 09:18 16 Mar 2007

There's no doubt that computers slow over time due to a number of reasons. The hard disk becomes more fragmented. The startup can become clogged-up with nuisance programs. Various cache areas (such as temporary internet files) become full. The registry becomes larger. Merely playing (and installing and uninstalling) quite a few games should not cause these issues alone however a good tidy up often helps things. A friend rebuilds his PC once a year to avoid this and a freshly rebuilt PC is always quicker. Is he going to rebuild your machine or simply remove some files?

If you do go ahead, and the price is reasonable, I'd be tempted to time some aspects before and after to check how much he has improved it ! I think a fresh rebuild of the machine is always the best option.

MAJ 09:25 16 Mar 2007

It could take a day or more to clean the PC, and remember he'll have others to work on as well. If you have been installing and uninstalling games, files and other programs regularly, then the hard drive probably needs defragged (usually done overnight). The best thing to do to get your PC back to it's original speediness (is that a word) is to wipe the hard drive, remembering to save your important files, then reinstall the operating system.

birdface 09:52 16 Mar 2007

click here for a month,But will only delete 10 at a time,But you can run it as often as you like,This will speed your computer up,It also does a defrag.

Hwaqar1234 09:54 16 Mar 2007

they always in your history

birdface 09:58 16 Mar 2007

Sorry having a bit of a problem with my click here at the moment,click here in case it is click here

Sheik Yerbouti 09:58 16 Mar 2007

click here

I'd give this a try, might help.

MAJ 09:59 16 Mar 2007

Seriously now, don't go deleting items from your registry if you don't know what they are or do.

wee eddie 10:37 16 Mar 2007

How frequently do you Defrag the Hard Drive?

Have you used the built in Error Checking program?

What AV, Firewall, and AntiSpyware are using?

podlod 12:32 17 Mar 2007

I want to thank all of you for you quick response concerning my prob.
I think he is just going to remove files, I`m sure of that.I have now downloaded Ccleaner and running,and my AV is Bitdefender, and I have WD diagnostics installed.
It all started when I downloaded a CD game ( Oblivion )My character in the game freezes when he runs for a split second about every 5 seconds and when I download the patch it wont open, and I know its not the graphics as I had Warcraft for nearly 2 years and it ran OK, and then I removed it.I have 7.8 Nvidia graphics and 2 gig Ram,and the Direct X is ok.
When the PC engineer took the game and tried it on another 2 PC`s he had the same prob? I told support Oblivion but they said they have to have the DXDIAG, but when I went onto run DXDIAG it had all the info except System info results and DirectX Info, and I tested everything else and it came up trumps.What do I do, who`s in the wrong, please help I`m baffled????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?