File Transfer failure

dave h 15:58 29 Aug 2008

Having had to wipe and re-install my XP, I took a copy of my files and settings, usin the file transfer wizard. I save the file to an 8GB USB Stick. having done this before, I expected no problems, but when I came to use the File Transfer to re-instal the data on the Cleadn Install, I got the following message -

"The Location that you specified does not contain stored information. please type a valid folder path into the edit box"

I checked the folder on the stick (Labelled USMT2.UNC) and found the files - IMG00001,dat, IM00002.dat and a Status file.
Both of the .dat files contain data, 2,097,129Kb and 607,335Kb respectively.

Does anyone have any Idea how I can recover the data from these files? I am particularly in need of recoverin the Address book.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Ditch999 16:55 29 Aug 2008

Try using a different USB slot on the new PC and insert it slowly.

I would also try reading the files in a different PC and if it works copy them to it as a back up

dave h 19:15 29 Aug 2008

Thanks for that, Ditch999, I'Ve tried both of those things but had no luck.
I also copied the files on to the hard drive and tried to get the transfer wizard to pick them up there , but it didn't work.

Anyone got any other suggestions?

woodchip 19:19 29 Aug 2008

All the Programs have to be loaded that was on the computer before, and in the same location. As if not, where can it put the files

dave h 19:44 29 Aug 2008

Not quite sure I understand your reply, Woodchip.

I used the File transfer wizard to offload from the old computer, and to try to reload to the new computer.

As I said, it worked the last time I tried it some months back.

dave h 10:38 30 Aug 2008

Bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?