File Size limits on external drives

CLONNEN 11:28 15 Jul 2006

All my drives are formatted with FAT32 so that all our Windows operating systems (ME, 2000 and XP) can use them for storing files.

The external USB drives have a maximum file size limit of 4GB. Very very slow to backup files.

The external Network Storage Drive has a maximum file size limit of 2GB. Much faster than USB so is our current main backup drive.

Since I have recently started converting a lot of paper manuals into PDF format, we get an Access Denied message after we save a PDF file which is over this limit - we can still open all files on the Network Drive but we cannot Save anything to it until the drive has been unplugged and turned back on again to reset it.

Are there any utilities which can break this stupid limit so we don't have to keep flicking the switch to reset it.

rodriguez 11:38 15 Jul 2006

The limit is to do with the filesystem that's being used. FAT32 is old and can only support file sizes of up to 4GB. If you want to store larger files, convert the filesystem to NTFS and use a tool such as NTFS for Windows 98 (click here) to allow you to mount it. This works with Windows 95, Windows 95 OSR2, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?