file sharing through ethernet XP - XP

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 09:59 22 Oct 2004

hi all,is it possible to share files through and ethernet cable,machines are both windows XPHE,i have both types of ethernet cable that are long enough,they both have ethernet adaptors.how can i configure/setup?.thanks alot all.ben

spargo 10:14 22 Oct 2004

BIG Ben strikes 10 again
Have a look here.
click here

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 10:56 22 Oct 2004

hi spargo,thanks alot,but your link doesn't explain how to network it it just says how it works,unless you can direct me?.thanks alot.ben

JonnyTub 10:59 22 Oct 2004

Use a cat5 crossover cable to connect the two lan cards on each pc, make sure tcp/ip is installed for each and then run the home networking wizard on both machines.

Sethhaniel 11:08 22 Oct 2004

remember to scan the cat ;)

JonnyTub 11:14 22 Oct 2004

Oh you two give it up will ya :-D

JonnyTub 11:15 22 Oct 2004

Just a little more info big ben, when you've made the physical connection between the two pc's, go to each pc and do the following: click start, control panel, network connections, double click on your nic (lan) card and on the general tab select properties, when the properties box comes up, you should see the words internet protocol(tcp/ip) listed with a tick next to it, if not click on install.

Then run the network setup wizard

Sethhaniel 11:34 22 Oct 2004

Or should I call you 'holder of the key' ;)
I think Big Ben will be the network Wizard with all the connecting and disconnecting he's doing - hope he's keeping a log for future reference :)

JonnyTub 11:36 22 Oct 2004

:-D

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 11:37 22 Oct 2004

will do jonny,just connected them via crossy cable,and im installing protos,and sethhainiel - STOP BEING SO CHILDISH AND GO SOAK THE DOG IN ICY WATER FOR A CHANGE.YOU HEAR WHAT IM SAYING?.LEAVE THE CAT ALONE,still it wouldn't hurt;)

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 12:11 22 Oct 2004

installed protos,connected cables now when i try to make a network network adaptors don't show up,however in my network places/entire net/mshome.smith37 (network name from previous)/ and A appears (my computer name) and when i click it says that its not accessible,can someone meet me on msn messenger,i really need help?.thanks guys.ben

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?