File Sharing with Linksys Wireless Router

Andrew Martin 15:49 30 Sep 2004

I have a desktop PC running XP Home SP2 connected to a Linksys WAG54G ADSL Wireless Router via ethernet, and a laptop running XP Pro SP2 connected to the same router via a Linksys WPC54G 802.11g Wireless Adaptor.

The internet connection works fine for both of them, but I want to be able to share files between them and the printer connected to the desktop.

Due to problems with the connection, I had to manually set the IP, DNS addresses manually on the laptop.

I have set the appropriate files and printer as shared, put both PC in the same workgroup, and I have confirmed they can communicate using the ping command.

However, I still cannot access shared files on the other PC. Windows says I do not have permission.

I have disabled Windows Firewall like suggested in other subjects, but this is making no difference.

Any ideas?

mosfet 16:04 30 Sep 2004

Have you shared a folder to try?
Right click "my docs" for example,& share.

hillybilly 16:08 30 Sep 2004

If you are taking the manual route as opposed to using the network wizard, then tere are certain basic things to be done.

1. make sure that whatever name and password you use to log on thedesktop, is also a valid user name and password on the laptop.

2. Make sure you have given sharing permission to the folders and printers that that you wish to access from either to either, if that makes sense.

Andrew Martin 19:35 30 Sep 2004

I have done all of the above.

hssutton 20:29 30 Sep 2004

I can't help you Andrew, but will be watching this thread with great interest. I have just bought the same equipment. I've installed the PCI adaptors, but now I'm stuck for a day or two, as my modem is a USB type. Hopefully a new one with ethernet connection will be with me tomorrow. Then I will be at your stage of the game.

Harry

Rigga 20:37 30 Sep 2004

I have pretty much the same setup, and came across a problem in Xp that does not allow network sharing with blank password.

For a poss solution > click here <

If that doesn't solve it, can you post more details, i.e can you see the shared folders in network neighbourhood? have you tried mapping a network drive directly?

You seem to be almost there, and it sounds like a user problem.

HTH R.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?