File Sharing Issues

Phil Watson 00:47 26 Feb 2006

I have two computers running Windows XP Pro with all the updates and SP2 installed. My laptop can access files and folders shared on the PC, but the PC can't see files and folders shared on the laptop. Both machines have file sharing enabled (or at least, I have set them to be enabled during the 'Set up a home or small office network' thing). Trying to access the laptop through My Network Places first asks for a login, for which I can't get anything to work, and then the error message "\\ laptop name> is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."
I saw a post earlier with a registry modification, set 'restrictanonymous' to 0 - indeed it was not 0 when I checked, but even changing that and rebooting did not solve the problem.
Also, when I look at the Windows Firewall settings on the laptop, I get a message at the top saying "For your security, some settings are controlled by Group Policy". I have Googled this and found it has something to do with a Windows Server being on the network - there is nothing like that on mine.
Any thoughts...?

howard63 20:45 26 Feb 2006

simple steps first - same workgroup on both pcs? hard drives on both pcs set to sharing? try searching for laptop? firewall set to allow ip address of desktop?

Phil Watson 20:49 26 Feb 2006

Yep, all of that has been checked over and over. Like I say, the firewall seems to be playing up... Maybe it's a virus or something...?
Anyway, I've formatted the drive and am reinstalling Windows now in the hope that it'll fix the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone