File sharing between Vista notebook and XP pc

Nikolai 21:37 27 Mar 2008

The wireless network is up and running, and both computers can "see" the other one. I can also view from the Vista the files on my XP. However, the opposite does not work. Although the notebook shows up on My Network Places, when I double click on it I get a "permission denied" message. This is despite the fact that I have declared the folders on my notebook to be readable by Everyone.
The only folders that I can open are the Shared ones.

joebloggs1 22:36 27 Mar 2008

I have responded to the thread you added to with a link that helped me resolve your issue

Nikolai 18:13 29 Mar 2008

Thanks for the useful link Joebloggs1. According to this article, I should be able to share my User folder. However, right clicking on it does not provide a Properties or Sharing option.
So the best I can do is share some of the folders in it such as Documents. However, when I go into My Network Places on my XP pc, what I see is "Users on laptop (Laptop)" which contains the Public folder, and "nick on laptop (Laptop)", where nick is the name of my user folder. Clicking on it yields the message "\\latpop\nick is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource etc". :-)

ambra4 13:23 30 Mar 2008

How to network XP and Vista

click here

click here

Nikolai 21:43 30 Mar 2008

Thanks. I have done all that the article describes but the problem persists :-)

joebloggs1 20:54 31 Mar 2008

Have you made sure the Networ on Vista is set to private network and not public
click here

joebloggs1 21:15 31 Mar 2008

I think that I have resolved my problem of not being able to access an XP shared folder from a Vista PC. On the Shared folder's Properties ==> Security Tab, the user EVERYONE was excluded from "Group or user name" list. If EVERYONE does not appear on your list, do the following:

Goto the folder you wish to share; Right click ==> Properties ==> Security ==> Add ==> Advanced ==> Find Now ==> Select EVERYONE from the list, and click OK to close all windows.

Nikolai 01:05 01 Apr 2008

Yes that is what you would do in your XP. But in Vista the add feature is not there. In any case I have now reached the point that from the XP I can see just about any folder I choose, except the folder that contains my document, videos, pictures etc. I am still denied access to it :-)

sgreenhough 16:41 01 Apr 2008

I'm having the same problem. I can access the pre-configured "Public" folder but I can't access the "Documents" folder on the Vista machine from my XP machine.

File sharing is fine the other way around. I wonder if sharing folders over a network is limited to purely Ultimate / Business editions as I have Home Premium!

Any help on this would be great!!

Nikolai 18:45 01 Apr 2008

I finally managed to get it to work :-)
Right click on the folder that contains your documents, videos etc.
Select SHARE. If it is not already shared click on Share and follow instructions.
Click on Advanced Sharing then Permissions then Add and type Everyone. Apply. OK.OK.
Select SECURITY.Click on Editthen ADD and enter Everyone in the window that opens. OK. Apply. OK.Apply. Close.
You should now be able to see this folder and its contents from your XP.

Hope that helps. I hate to say how many hours were wasted on getting this far and the MS User group was not much help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone