file servers

harps1h 10:27 10 Dec 2006

if a company sets up a file server, what would they do for internet connection? would they need a seperate server or would the single server fulfil the needs?

Forum Editor 14:01 10 Dec 2006

to run a fileserver that was connected directly to the internet, for obvious reasons.

If you want to allow external access to a fileserver for staff that work from home you'll need to set up some pretty robust firewall and external access control, but i suspect that isn't why you're asking.

Perhaps if you supply some further information about your intended set-up we can offer more helpful advice.

harps1h 14:12 10 Dec 2006

this is a small office where most of the activity will be data transfer to and from the server. a little access to the web is needed but there will be no website involved. my query is will one server be enough, without the need for a proxy to access the web, and what would be the most suitable OS to acheive this?

or would it be better to use a modem in connection with a router and web access gained through the network via a hub

for software i thought about small business server from microsoft or server 2003

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?