File Recovery From a CD-ROM used For Backup

thegreypanther 11:38 05 Nov 2007

5 years ago I backed up a collection of digital photos onto a CD-ROM. Unfortunately, this CD now appears to have degraded, and I am having great difficulty recovering any of the files on it.
Can anybody recommend a utility that will help recover damaged files from a CD-ROM?
Any help greatly appreciated.

MaxUpload 11:52 05 Nov 2007

You could give this a try - click here

I haven't used it but a friend of mine had about 75% success on data recovery from a CD that was cracked!

stylehurst 14:06 05 Nov 2007

Another option could be Isobuster it's another program to facilitate the recovery of data.

thegreypanther 14:35 05 Nov 2007

Many thanks MaxUpload. Unfortunately, when I selected the link McAfee Site Advisor flashed up the old red warning signs so I decided to skip it pro tem.
Looking through some old PC Advisor discs, in the October 2006 issue there was a program called Media Recover by GreenStreet. I'm giving this a go at the moment, - it's SLOWLY chugging along and seems to be having some effect.
A hard lesson in life here is that backing up onto CD-ROMs seemed to be acceptable 5 years ago. Clearly this isn't the case, as CD-ROMs degrade over time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone