File recovery

smellideadskin 09:22 23 Aug 2005

Hi,

the other day I had a hack that was so bad I had to reinstall Windows (probably a mistake, but at the time it was the only thing I could think of) to remove it. Later I discovered that some of my files were not backed-up.

I managed to get hold of some recovery software, but it states that I need to install it on a different Hard-drive, which I don't have, or make a Partition in my existing one.

I have Windows XP - any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andy.

VoG II 09:24 23 Aug 2005

Try Drive Rescue click here - run it from a floppy.

smellideadskin 15:25 23 Aug 2005

Hi,

I tried Drive Rescue: it didn't work - the result came back "not implimented." It did, however, recue some files, but although I ran it from a Floppy, it still advised saving it to another Drive.

So, I still need to know if partitioning my existing Drive C: will do the trick. Is this a sound thing to do?

smellideadskin 15:25 23 Aug 2005

Hi,

I tried Drive Rescue: it didn't work - the result came back "not implimented." It did, however, recue some files, but although I ran it from a Floppy, it still advised saving it to another Drive.

So, I still need to know if partitioning my existing Drive C: will do the trick. Is this a sound thing to do?

smellideadskin 15:26 23 Aug 2005

Hi,

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:05 23 Aug 2005

Of course it would advise saving your rescued files to another drive because it thinks you are trying to recover from a corrupt drive.

Do not partition you will lose even more. Do not write to the drive untill you have rscued all you can.

file_recovery click here
R_Studio click here
Easyrecovery click here
Floppy recovery click here
Drive Rescue click here

Drive resce is probably as good as you are going to get.

smellideadskin 18:01 23 Aug 2005

The file recovery software states that the files need to be saved to a new, or partitioned, Drive so that the files are not overwriten or lost.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:21 23 Aug 2005

Do not partition you will lose even more. Do not write to the drive untill you have rescued all you can.

Save to a pen drive or card reader or external drive.Fit a second drive as slave and save to that if the files are that important.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?